13th Century Village Compound on 78 Acres in Umbria
Located at the foothills of the Martani Mountains, Borgo Martano is an extraordinary property which consists of 78 acres of rolling hills with meadows and woods.
Within it lies a compound of 13th Century buildings, offering fantastic views over Umbria, with its fortified towns, ancient Roman thoroughfares, and exquisite cuisine.
The main structures of this centuries-old town are the Palazzo, Church with bell tower, mill, winery, houses and terraces.
The building surface is approximately 40000 square feet.
Borgo Martano is filled with ancient and noble history, and has plenty of potential to be restored into an amazing residential complex. The fertile land around it has 500 plus olive and chestnut trees.
There is currently drinking water, electricity and telephone wiring, with the possibility of broadband.
The property is about ten miles from Todi and is 1800 feet above sea level.
The area was inhabited between the eighth and third centuries BCE and well-settled in pre-Roman times. By around 220 BCE, the site of Massa Martana sat astride one of the most important Roman arteries linking northern Italy and the Adriatic, the Via Flaminia. The nearby Statio ad Martis served as a center for rest and refreshment for soldiers and travelers of the era.
A settlement, the Vicus Martis, developed around the Statio, well-documented by surviving Roman inscriptions. With the accelerating spread of Christianity during the third and fourth centuries AD, Vicus Martis became known as Civitas Martana. Marvellous Christian catacombs from this period survive today in Massa Martana. Massa Martana was home to several saints between the first and fourth centuries AD, including Sts. Felice, Fidenzio, Terenzio, Faustino and Illuminata.
Unfortunately for the Umbrians, Alaric the Visigoth then razed the area surrounding the Via Flaminia during the Goth-Byzantine wars.
In the seventh and eighth centuries AD, during the Longobardic domination, the Castle of Massa was constructed. “Massa” itself translates as “a group of fortified dwellings.”
In medieval times, the lowlands in the region became marshland, and residents migrated to the nearby hills, building fortifications. The stones of today’s borgo date back some 700 years.
Massa Martana developed as the seat of the Zampani family in the thirteenth century AD. The borgo became part of Massa Martana’s domains in the 15th century, when Massa Martana freed itself from the rule of its larger fortified neighbor, Todi.
The interiors of the Borgo Martano buildings were richly renovated in the 1800s. During the 20th century, the borgo became a private retreat for great families. Today, an international industrialist family with strong Umbrian ties enjoys its beautiful serenity while contemplating the site’s extraordinary future potential.
- 78 acres
- 13th Century buildings
- Views over Umbria
- Building surface is approximately 40000 square feet
- 500 plus olive and chestnut trees
- 1800 feet above sea level